The Monrovia Fire Department’s cadet program is designed for individuals wanting a career in the fire service to gain experience and knowledge from a municipal fire department. The cadet position is a non-sworn position, in which the cadets are required to volunteer an equivalent of four 24 hour shifts per month as an additional member of an engine company, truck company or paramedic squad. Cadets are directly supervised by a department captain during their shifts. The cadets in the program are required to complete scheduled shift drills and participate in quarterly training. Cadets performing well in the program may have the ability to be sponsored by the department to paramedic school through an interview process completed by the Fire Chief. Upon an available opening within the department cadets also performing well in the program may also be eligible for full time employment as a firefighter or firefighter / paramedic through an interview process with the Fire Chief.
A cadet’s daily duties can include providing assistance and performing a variety of tasks in support of Fire Department programs and public awareness; cadets may assist sworn personnel in responding and assisting at fire and emergency medical calls; use ladders, hose lines, fire extinguishers, miscellaneous tools and equipment in the performance of assigned tasks; assist in maintaining fire stations and apparatus; and assist in fire prevention activities. Cadets may also perform basic office support work such as filing and typing; provide routine or procedural information; direct people to appropriate personnel; answer the telephone, take messages or routes calls to appropriate personnel; maintain a variety of records; operate a variety of office equipment; conduct inspections of equipment as needed; and perform other related duties as required.
- Be 18 years of age
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Class “C” drivers license with satisfactory driving record
- Be a non-smoker for a minimum of one year.
- Have a California State Fire Marshall certified academy graduation certificate
- CPAT / Biddle / FPAT physical agility certificate within six months of application due date
- Possess an EMT – 1 Certification
- Filing of the application and proof of required certifications.
- Applicants meeting the criteria will be invited to participate in an interview process.
- Individuals placing in the top group will begin a full background process which includes a criminal history check, polygraph, medical and psychological exam.
- Individuals passing the background process will be eligible for hire into the program.
For more information on the cadet program contact:
Engineer Harvey Hewitt
E101 “B” Shift
(626) 256 – 8181 Ext. 1142
Link to Cadet Flyer - http://agency.governmentjobs.com/monrovia/default.cfm?transfer=1
Link to Physical Ability Test Sites – Rio Hondo http://www.riohondofire.com/biddle.html
Mt. SAC http://www.mtsac.edu/instruction/kinesiology/firepat/