Visit this page for construction and related notices for work occurring in Monrovia.
Note that while the City strives to provide you with the most up-to-date information, construction schedules are subject to change with little or no notice for various reasons, including, but not limited to, weather conditions and unforeseen delays.
The Dying Cork Oak Tree at Library Park (Just East of the Fountain) Will Be Removed on Thursday, April 19, 2018
We wanted to let everyone know that this coming Thursday, April 19, 2018, at 5:00 a.m., the City will be removing the dead cork oak tree located at Library Park, just north of the fountain. As you may recall, that particular tree has fallen prey to a beetle infestation and must now be taken down.
Although we are sad to see such a great tree pass on, we are happy to report that the Youth Commission and the Teen Advisory Board will be replacing the tree with two Coastal Oaks on Arbor Day, April 26, 2018, at 4:00 p.m. One Coastal Oak will be located where the Cork Oak was removed, while the other will be planted across the walkway on the south side of the fountain. We will continue to keep everyone informed as to our progress in addressing this situation, and if you have any questions, please feel free to call our Public Works Division at (626) 932-5575.
Monrovia Renewal Related Construction
Monrovia Renewal is the largest public works project in the City's history, making citywide repairs where they are most needed to our water and sewer pipelines, water facilities, streets, sidewalks, curbs, and gutters. Visit the Monrovia Renewal page to learn more.
Construction Happening the Week of April 16, 2018
Throughout the last two weeks, Sully-Miller completed most of the street construction work on Highland Place, Mayflower Avenue, Primrose Avenue, Linwood Avenue, Palm Avenue, and parts of Lemon and Lime Avenues.
- Paving on Lemon and Lime Avenue: There is some final cap paving that needs to be completed along Lemon Avenue and Lime Avenue. This work will commence on Monday, April 16, and should be completed within two days.
- Striping of Lanes, Crosswalks, and Stops: The striping contractor will begin laying out and installing roadway marking beginning Monday, April 16, and will take approximately two weeks to complete. This work includes the installation of all necessary lane markings, cross walks, stop indicators, and other striping. In addition, this will also include the replacement of all address numbers that were removed from curbs as part of construction.
- Final Clean-Up Work: Construction crews will begin working on final "punch list" items or things that need to be fixed, modified, or cleaned up prior to the City accepting the work and closing out the Northwest Section. Included in these items will be the repairing of irrigation and other work in parkways, cleaning up any construction debris, and repairing any improvements that were not constructed to the City's standard.
- Anticipated Completion in May: Northwest work is nearing completion and it is anticipated that Sully-Miller Contracting Co. will be demobilized and out of town during the first week or so of May.
During these construction activities, there will be intermittent road closures and parking restrictions. The streets and driveways will be accessible every night; however, access might be limited during daytime work activities.
We appreciate your patience and support while we work to execute these improvements throughout our community! If you have any questions regarding this matter, please feel free to contact Public Works at (626) 932-5575 or email@example.com.
Monrovia Renewal South Section Infrastructure Improvements Project to Ramp Up this Week to Start April 23, 2018
That's right! The Monrovia Renewal South Section project will begin this week as Sequel Contractors, Inc. will begin ramping up for construction activities. The South Section includes the entire area within the City Limits below the 210-Freeway. The work that will take place in this section includes:
- Removal and replacement of damaged sidewalk, curb and gutter, driveway approaches, and other concrete infrastructure. Includes nearly 10,000 linear feet of curb and gutter and 12,500 square feet of sidewalk.
- Replacement of approximately 150 service lines.
- Installation of lining material in approximately 2,800 linear feet of sewer line and the repair of approximately 30 damaged sections of sewer line.
- Construction of drainage improvements including 4 drywells and 7 catch basins.
- Road construction and maintenance activities on nearly 22 centerline miles of streets. The type of work will include:
- Street Reconstruction
- 2" Asphalt Grind and Overlay
- Slurry Seal
Actual construction will begin the week of April 23, but over the next week, the contracting team will begin activities including handing out notices, posting parking restrictions, and begin marking out streets, sidewalks, curbs and gutter, and driveways to begin work the following week. The initial activities that the contractor will undertake include:
- Replacement of water service lines
- Removal and replacement of concrete sidewalk, curb and gutter, and driveway approaches
- Drainage improvements including storm drains and drywells
Construction Notices to Residents and Businesses: The contracting team will be circulating notices to all residents and businesses to inform them of the pending work. They will be distributed on the following schedule, which will vary by the specific work in each location:
- Initial Notice - All residents and businesses in the construction area to inform them of pending work.
- Five Day Notice - Specific notices will be delivered to the impacted areas five (5) days prior to work commencing. This notice will outline the work taking place, overview the schedule, and provide information on the associated impacts, such as parking restrictions or driveway access.
- Two Day Notice - A final notice will be provided two days before the activity begins to remind folks of the coming work and impacts.
As the work in this section progresses, we will be sure to keep you updated on any developments. As always, we thank you for your patience and understanding while we work to execute this project. Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the Public Works Division at (626) 932-5575 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monrovia Renewal Outreach Meeting for South Section Scheduled to take place at Santa Fe Middle School on April 19, 2018, at 6:30 p.m.
Speaking of the Monrovia Renewal Project, we are getting ready to mobilize our South Section Improvements, and to that end, the City has coordinated a community meeting, set to take place on Thursday, April 18, 2018, at 6:30 p.m., at Santa Fe Middle School. Additional details will be distributed in the coming weeks, and we do hope that anyone with questions about the project will come out to the meeting!