Special Holiday Events & Activities in Old Town Monrovia
Monrovia is the Place to be this Holiday Season with Special Events and Activities!
There are so many different things happening throughout town, including a Holiday Sing Along, Horse-Drawn Wagon Rides, caroling, and loads of fun events at the Library! In an effort to ensure you don’t miss out on the holiday fun, we’ve put together a quick listing of key community events below, and a list of activities is available on the Old Town Holiday Calendar!
Shop Black Friday & Small Business Saturday and Donate a Toy on Myrtle!
It's the official start of the holiday shopping season! Support our local business community by shopping at a local store or dining at a local restaurant. Local businesses help give Monrovia its small-town feel with stores and restaurants you can't find anywhere else!
Black Friday, November 23
- Santa will arrive in Old Town at 10 a.m., so bring your family and friends and shop small this Black Friday!
Small Business Saturday, November 24
- Small Business Saturday is a day dedicated to supporting small businesses across the country every year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. There will be drawings, music, and in-store specials all day long!
Days of Giving: Toy Drive on Myrtle Ave
- Spread the joy this holiday season by participating in the Toy Drive on Myrtle Avenue!
- Starting at 10 a.m. on Black Friday and Small Business Saturday, members of Monrovia's Fire and Rescue will be out on Myrtle Avenue to collect your toys, so stop on by and make a child happy today!
Community Tree Lighting on December 12!
The City will be hosting a special Community Tree Lighting Ceremony and Holiday Event at Library Park on Wednesday, December 12, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m.
Beginning at 4 p.m., the event will kick-off with performances by the Monrovia High School Band, Centre Stage, and the Champagne Singers. While you’re listening to the festive music, stroll down Lime Avenue to view this year’s parade float entries. At 5:30 p.m., the formal Tree Lighting program will begin where we will be recognizing and celebrating our Parade Grand Marshall – the Monrovia Area Partnership, MAP Leaders!
Other activities will include FREE:
- Carriage Rides in Old Town
- Photo booth
- Face painting
- Starbucks coffee, tea, & cocoa
- Cookie decorating station
- Letters to Santa station
- Display of Parade Floats
If you have any questions, please call the Monrovia Community Center at (626) 256-8246!
Holiday Sing Along in Old Town
We will be holding a Holiday Sing Along for carolers young and old, musically gifted and tone-deaf! All are welcome! Come for the tunes, and stroll along Myrtle afterwards for shopping and dessert!
- The sing along will be taking place on the 400 block of Myrtle Avenue.
- Friday, December 14, 8:15 p.m.
Horse-Drawn Wagon Rides Set to Take Place in Old Town Monrovia on Thursdays & Sundays in December
To help celebrate this holiday season, horse-drawn wagon rides will be available in Old Town Monrovia on Thursday and Sunday evenings in December! The wagon rides will be offered on Myrtle Avenue for $5 per person on first-come, first serve basis, and is sponsored by the Monrovia Old Town Advisory Board. The wagon rides will be offered on the dates listed below:
- Thursdays, December 13 & 20, 5:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- Sundays, December 2, 9, & 16, 3:00 - 6:00 p.m.
Santa Tours Week of December 17 - 21
The ever-popular Santa Tours are set to take place during the week of December 17, when Santa Claus will be driving down every street in Monrovia!
Santa Claus will be touring each neighborhood on top of a decorated fire engine passing out candy canes, escorted by a police car and a decorated public works sleigh! Everyone is encouraged to come out and wave to Santa and enjoy the Christmas carols playing over the police car's P.A. system!
Those wishing to participate should assemble by 5:00 p.m. at Monrovia City Hall's back parking lot each night the Santa Tour occurs. Remember that space is limited and participation is on a first-come, first-served basis. Parents are reminded that children 18 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Remember, Santa's sleigh will fly in cold or rainy weather, so please bring appropriate clothing!
Monday, December 17
- City streets east of Myrtle Avenue and north of Foothill Boulevard
Tuesday, December 18
- City streets west of Myrtle Avenue and north of Foothill Boulevard
Wednesday, December 19
- City streets east of Myrtle Avenue, south of Foothill Boulevard, north of Duarte Road, west to east city boundaries
Thursday, December 20
- City streets west of Myrtle Avenue, south of Foothill Boulevard to Huntington Drive between Myrtle Avenue and Fifth Avenue
Friday, December 21
- City streets south of Huntington Drive, west of Myrtle Avenue to Fifth Avenue, north of southern city boundaries. Also include Valley Circle.
Santa's sleigh leaves promptly at 5:30 p.m.! The tours will last from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
A big thank you to all of the City employees from the Police Department, Monrovia Fire & Rescue, and Public Works who volunteer their time to help make this program a success!
Free Kids' Crafts on Myrtle Ave
Bring your kiddos to Old Town Monrovia for some fun crafting time this holiday season!
- Saturdays, December 15 & 22, 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Location: Old Town Monrovia on 400 block of Myrtle Avenue
Breakfasts with Santa in Old Town Monrovia – Every Saturday in December!
Join us for special Breakfasts with Santa every Saturday in December at various locations in Old Town!
- 8:00 a.m. - Peach Cafe
- 8:00 a.m. - Jake's Roadhouse
- 10:00 a.m. - Monrovian Restaurant
- 11:00 a.m. - Oh Mulberry Bush
- 8:00 a.m. - Peach Cafe
- 8:00 a.m. – Jake’s Roadhouse
- 10:00 a.m. - Oh Mulberry Bush
- 11:00 a.m. – Rudy’s Mexican Restaurant
Special Holiday Events at the Monrovia Public Library in Old Town!
- Holiday Sounds - Library Lobby (All Ages)
- Saturday, December 1, 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- Santa Storytime - Library Community Room (All Ages)
- Monday, December 3, 10:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, December 4, 6:30 p.m.
- Gingerbread House Decorating- Library Community Room (All Ages)
- Saturday, December 15, 2:00 - 3:00 p.m.
- Monday Movie Night – Library Community Room (All Ages)
- Monday, December 17, 6:00 p.m.
- Holiday Dessert Decorating Challenge - Library Community Room (Grades 6-12)
- Wednesday, December 19, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
New Year’s Eve on Myrtle Avenue
2019 will be here before you know it, so make plans now to ring in the New Year on Myrtle Avenue! The City of Monrovia, along with the Monrovia Old Town Advisory Board, and the Old Town Merchants, are set to present our annual New Year's Eve on Myrtle Avenue starting at 7:00 p.m.!
- Sunday, December 31, 7:00 p.m. - 12:30 a.m
- Child Care services from 7:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. for a fee of $20 at the Monrovia Community Center.
Planning on coming to Monrovia for the celebration? Hop on the Gold Line and take advantage of the GoMonrovia Lyft and LimeBike program to get to Old Town! For more information, please call (626) 256-8225.