Special Holiday Events & Activities in Old Town Monrovia
Monrovia is the place to be this holiday season! There are so many different things happening throughout town, including a Holiday Sing Along, Horse-Drawn Wagon Rides, caroling and loads of fun events at the Library! Let us know that you’re joining us for all the holiday festivities by using #MagicOnMyrtle when sharing your pictures.
On Dec. 5, the City of Monrovia will present the annual Holiday Parade. At 6 p.m., the event will kick off with a special performance by Centre Stage and the parade will begin at 7 p.m., traveling north on Myrtle Avenue from Chestnut Avenue to Palm Avenue. The Holiday Parade is sponsored by the Monrovia Old Town Advisory Board.
Holiday Sing Along in Old Town
We will be holding a Holiday Sing Along for carolers young and old, musically gifted and tone-deaf! All are welcome! Come for the tunes, and stroll along Myrtle afterwards for shopping and dessert! The sing along will be taking place on the 400 block of Myrtle Avenue on Friday, Dec. 6 at 8:15 p.m.
2019 Holiday Home Decorating Contest
Congratulations to all the 2019 Home Decorating Contest winners!
Sponsored by the City of Monrovia, community members who decorated their homes and businesses for the Holiday Season have been recognized by the City in the following categories:
- Best Still Display Award - 214 South Alta Vista
- Best Outdoor Display - 333 Norumbega Drive
- Most Effective Use of Lighting Award - 380 Norumbega Drive
- Best Neighborhood Effort Award - Valmont Drive and Valmont Place
- Santa’s Workshop Award - 436 North Primrose Avenue
- Holiday Spirit Award - 2400 & 2500 Block of Rochelle Avenue
- Children’s Choice Award - 309 North Madison Avenue
- Judges Award - 300 Block of North Alta Vista Avenue
The ever-popular Santa Tours are set to take place during the week of December 16, when Santa Claus will be driving down every street in Monrovia!
Santa Claus will be touring each neighborhood on top of a decorated fire engine passing out candy canes, escorted by a police car and a decorated public works sleigh! Everyone is encouraged to come out and wave to Santa and enjoy the Christmas carols playing over the police car's P.A. system! Those wishing to participate should assemble by 5:00 p.m., at Monrovia City Hall's back parking lot, each night the Santa Tour occurs. Remember that space is limited and participation is on a first-come, first-served basis. Parents are reminded that children 18 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Remember, Santa's sleigh will fly in cold or rainy weather, so please bring appropriate clothing!
A big thank you to all of the City employees from the Police Department, Monrovia Fire & Rescue, and Public Works who volunteer their time to help make this program a success!
Monday, December 16
- City streets east of Myrtle Avenue and north of Foothill Boulevard.
Tuesday, December 17
- City streets west of Myrtle Avenue, south of Foothill Boulevard to Huntington Drive, between Myrtle Avenue and Fifth Avenue.
Wednesday, December 18
- City streets east of Myrtle Avenue, south of Foothill Boulevard, north of Duarte Road, west of eastern city boundaries
Thursday, December 19
- City streets west of Myrtle Avenue and North of Foothill Boulevard.
Friday, December 20
- City streets south of Huntington Drive, west of Myrtle Avenue to Fifth Avenue, north of southern city boundaries. Also include Valley Circle.
Horse-Drawn Wagon Rides
To help celebrate this holiday season, horse-drawn wagon rides will be available in Old Town Monrovia on Thursday and Sunday evenings in December! The wagon rides will be offered on Myrtle Avenue for $5 per person on first-come, first serve basis and is sponsored by the Monrovia Old Town Advisory Board. The wagon rides will be offered on the dates listed below:
- Sundays, Dec. 8, 15, & 22, 3:00 - 6:00 p.m.
- Thursdays, Dec. 12 & 19, 5:00 - 8:00 p.m.
Breakfasts with Santa in Old Town Monrovia
Join us for special Breakfasts with Santa at various locations in Old Town!
- December 7
- 8:00 a.m. - Peach Café
- December 14
- 8:00 a.m. - Jake's Roadhouse
- 10:00 a.m. - Monrovian Restaurant
- December 21
- 8:00 a.m. - Peach Café
- 11:00 a.m. – Rudy’s Mexican Restaurant
- December 22
- 10:00 a.m. – Myrtle Tree Café
Special Holiday Events at the Monrovia Public Library in Old Town!
- Santa Storytime – Youth Services Area (All Ages)
- Friday, December 6, 6 p.m.
- Saturday, December 7, 10 a.m.
- Holiday Sounds – Library Lobby
- Saturday, December 7, 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Toddler Winter Ball – Community Room
- Wednesday, December 11, 11 a.m.
- Star Wars Day – Library Park
- Saturday, December 14, 12 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Friends of the Library Monday Movie Night – Community Room
- Monday, December 16, 6 p.m.
Noon Year's Eve
Celebrate New Year’s Eve with your entire family at our free daytime event - Noon Year’s Eve! Midnight may be too late for your little ones, so why not ring in the new year at noon instead?! Activities will include story time, live music, arts and crafts, inflatable obstacle course, games and a special countdown to Noon Year's Eve!
Join us at Library Park on December 31 for fun activities for all ages. The special new year’s celebration will take place at noon sharp!
New Year's Eve on Myrtle Avenue
2020 will be here before you know it, so make plans now to ring in the New Year on Myrtle Avenue! The entire family is invited to enjoy outdoor music, by two Top 40s bands, and the celebratory ball lighting at midnight. There will also be options for outdoor dining at several of your favorites Old Town restaurants!
Child Care Services will be provided at the Monrovia Community Center, from 7 p.m. - 1 a.m., for a fee of $25 per child for Monrovia Residents and $50 per child for non-residents.
This event is presented by the City of Monrovia, along with the Monrovia Old Town Advisory Board, and the Old Town Merchants.
For more information on the events and activities taking place during the holiday season, please call the Monrovia Community Center at (626) 256-8246, “Like” City of Monrovia and Old Town Monrovia on Facebook and follow the City and Old Town Monrovia on Instagram @cityofmonrovia and @oldtownmonrovia.