City Manager's Update | COVID-19 Update | April 9, 2020
April 9, 2020
I want to thank each and every person for the phenomenal job you are doing in following the Safer at Home Order.
This week is Holy Week and community members are preparing for key holidays. I understand the desire and need to spend time with loved ones, but please remember that a gathering of any size will pose a risk for everyone involved. Whether you hold family gatherings, attend religious services, or spend time outdoors during this special week, I urge you to remain Safer at Home and find a new way to celebrate your traditions this year. Social distancing continues to be one of our most important tools to stop the spread of COVID-19. As the Los Angeles County Department of Health stated, our actions this week is crucial in flattening the curve, so we must continue to do our part by staying at home.
At the City, our top priority remains the health and safety of our community, which guides every decision made at this time. On Sunday, April 12, all parks in the City of Monrovia will be CLOSED. Easter Sunday has always brought large crowds to our beautiful parks, but these celebrations make it very difficult for participants to practice social distancing.
Please know that your support and understanding is deeply appreciated during this challenging time.
A Message from Mayor Tom Adams
On April 7, Ralph Walker, Mayor Tom Adams and MUSD Board President Rob Hammond provided the community with a COVID-19 update.
On Tuesday, April 7, the City Council approved an Urgency Ordinance, which adopted emergency regulations to prohibit commercial evictions for non-payment of rent and “no-fault” evictions.
The ordinance took effect immediately and will remain in place through the duration of the COVID-19 emergency declaration. View the full Urgency Ordinance.
MUSD Presents Cruisin' thru Monrovia
On Friday, April 10, at 10 a.m., all schools in the Monrovia Unified School District will be Cruisin' thru Monrovia! Make a sign and cheer for your school as they past through your neighborhood.
For your safety, please remember:
- Do not leave your property. Simply come to the door, front lawn, front porch, etc. when you hear the horns to wave to your school.
- If you encounter other people outside, practice social distancing.
- Wear a mask while you are outdoors.
- Feel free to make signs to show your support.
Facebook Groups for Financial, Employment & Small Business Resources
Community members are coming together through Facebook Groups to provide financial, employment and small business resources.
- Monrovia Financials & Retirement Accounts - Administered by Ilsi Castillo, provides guidance through financial challenges
- Monrovia Small Business - Administered by Sari Canales, provides guidance to and available resources to business owners
- Monrovia Works - Administered by Elizabeth Noguera, provides guidance on navigating unemployment and/or state disability
COVID-19 At a Glance
Nationwide COVID-19 Numbers*
- As of April 8, there have been 12,754 deaths.
- 395,011 cases reported in 55 jurisdictions (50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, Northern Marianas and US Virgin Islands).
*CDC numbers are updated Monday-Friday.