City of Monrovia Summer Events
Given that large gatherings continue to be prohibited to slow the spread of COVID-19 and to ensure the health and safety of the community, the City of Monrovia has modified the 2020 summer events. This summer, the City of Monrovia is excited to present the first-ever decorating contest to celebrate Independence Day, launch new virtual recreation classes and activities and welcome back the Monrovia Street Fair & Market!
For programs, events and classes that require registration, those interested can sign-up by simply clicking on the links in the digital Monrovia Today.
Fitness classes, dance lessons, academic support programs and much more will be offered to residents and community members to virtually participate in during the summer season. To make access to virtual programs, this year the Monrovia Today will be digital and residents will not receive a physical copy.
View the digital Monrovia Today! Registration for programs, events and classes will begin on July 6.
Monrovia Street Fair & Market
The Monrovia Street Fair & Market will return on July 3. When planning for the reopening of the market, our highest priority was the health and safety of our community members. To be in compliance with the Health Officer's Order and to keep market visitors safe, the following changes will be implemented:
- The market will be condensed and located on Myrtle Avenue between Olive Avenue and Chestnut Avenue.
- To create a one-way loop, there will be one entry in and one exit out at Olive Avenue.
- Those visiting will see a temporary discontinuation of the kids’ play area, entertainment, and food services.
- Vendors will include only farmers, prepared food vendors, and retail vendors.
- Face coverings and practicing physical distancing will be required. Those without a face covering will not be permitted to enter the market.
- Hand wash and hand sanitizer stations will be available.
4th of July Celebration
For this year’s 4th of July celebration, every resident has the best seat in the house! All are encouraged to take a few minutes to experience a portion of the 2019 Fireworks Spectacular Show. This special video will also give thanks to Monrovia’s Blue Star Families and show appreciation to those serving the Country. The video will air on Saturday, July 4, at 5:00 p.m. It can be viewed on the City’s website, Facebook Page and YouTube.
As a reminder, all fireworks are prohibited in Monrovia.
4th of July Decorating Contest
The City of Monrovia is excited to announce the winners of the 2020 4th of July Home Decorating Contest and Old Town Monrovia Window Decorating Contest.
Home Contest Winners
- Best Patriotic Display - 515 W. Colorado
- Salute to Our Military Display - 751 E. Foothill Blvd.
- Small Town USA Display - 126 Melrose Ave.
- Most Spectacular - 380 Norumbega Dr.
- Judges Award - 210 Oaks Ave.
Business Contest Winners
- Best Patriotic Display -Dream Decor, 505 S. Myrtle Ave.
- Salute to Our Military Display - The Attic Events & Home Treasures, 312 S. Myrtle Ave.
- Small Town USA Display - Neighborhood Pawn, 619 S. Myrtle Ave.
- Most Spectacular - Douglas Elliman Real Estate, 517 S. Myrtle Ave.
- Judges Award - Puff Monkey, 427 S. Myrtle Ave.
Find the map of all entries below or click here to download!
Summer Concerts in the Park
The community is invited to tune into Sunday Funday Flashback Concerts, beginning on July 12 through August 23. Each Sunday, the City of Monrovia will share a concert from the past for the community to enjoy. Tune into KGEM-TV channel 3 (Spectrum) or channel 87.3 (Giggle), at 5:00 p.m., to watch the concerts, or stream the concerts on YouTube. From salsa and jazz to Old School and Top 40’s, there is something for everyone!
- July 12
- Cold Duck
- July 19
- July 26
- Stone Soul
- August 2
- Mariachi Divas
- August 9
- The Answer
- August 16
- Big Papa & The TCB
- August 23
- Yari More Latin Band
Movies in the Park
The Community Services Department will host the 2020 Movies in the Park! Bring the entire family for an evening beginning at 6:30 p.m. Bring your lawn chair or blanket, sit back, relax and enjoy a movie underneath the stars!
Reservations will be required to attend. All events will have designated family reservation spots to ensure physical distancing to keep our guests and community safe and healthy. Those interested can sign-up by simply clicking on the links in the digital Monrovia Today.
- July 18 – Detective Pikachu
- July 25 – Little Rascals
- August 1 – Frozen 2
- August 8 – Toy Story 4
For the health and safety of the community and employees, those attending Movies in the Park are asked to follow the guidelines established by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, including wearing a face covering and remaining six-feet from those outside of their own household. Additional restrictions and/or cancellation may apply.
Comfy Camping at Home Family Adventure
The City of Monrovia is excited to present Comfy Camping at Home Family Adventure, a six-week challenge! Registered participants will earn merit badges pins for each completed challenge. In addition, participants will receive special access to unique story times and activities. Those interested can sign-up by simply clicking on the links in the digital Monrovia Today.
The program will run from July 25 to August 29.
- Challenge 1: Build your Tent or Fort
- Challenge 2: Take a Community Hike / Scavenger Hunt
- Challenge 3: Share your Scrumptious Camping Dinner
- Challenge 4: Create a Ooey Gooey Goodness S’more
- Challenge 5: Star Gazing Discovery
- Challenge 6: Insect Safari