Monrovia is an All-America City!
In 1995-1996, Monrovia was recognized as an All-America City by the National Civic League.
Since 1949, this award has been given to ten communities each year in recognition of their outstanding civic accomplishments.
To win, communities must demonstrate innovation, impact, inclusiveness, civic engagement, and cross-sector collaboration to address pressing local challenges.
Old Town Monrovia is the San Gabriel Valley’s Reader’s Choice Award for Favorite City/Downtown!
Old Town is the heart of Monrovia - it offers a sense of place for residents and businesses. Whether it's our newly renovated Library, weekly Family Festival, or exciting community events, there is a constant flow of visitors to Myrtle Avenue. Opportunities abound for developers and businesses that want to become a part of our community.
Monrovia is celebrating its 30th year as a Tree City USA!
Everywhere you look in Monrovia, the landscape is filled with mature trees adding to the beauty and health of Monrovia. We are recognized as a California Tree City.
Oak Trees have a special place in our community, officially protected in our Municipal Code.
We hold an Annual Arbor Day Ceremony the last Friday in April to celebrate the benefits of trees in our community and plant new trees. This event is hosted by our youth, led by the Monrovia Teen Advisory Board and Monrovia Youth Commission.
Our Parks crew regularly trims our trees to keep them healthy and safe.
- 2018 GFOA Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting for the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
- May 2019 – Neighborhoods USA (NUSA) – Best Neighborhood Program/Social Revitalization - Neighborliness Finalist (National competition) – MAP Neighborhood Treasurer’s Program
- May 2016 – Neighborhoods USA (NUSA) – Best Neighborhood Program/Social Revitalization – Neighborliness – 2ndPlace (National competition) – MAP Youth Leadership Academy Program
- May 2016 – Neighborhoods USA (NUSA) – Best Neighborhood Newsletter Competition/Government, Quasi Government – 1st Place (National competition) – MAP Neighborhood News Newsletter
- May 2016 – Neighborhoods USA (NUSA) – Best Neighborhood Award/Physical Revitalization/Beautification – 2ndPlace (National competition) – MAP Care for Your Neighborhood Program
- May 2011 – Neighborhoods USA (NUSA) – Best Neighborhood Program – 2nd Place (National competition) – MAP Adult Leadership Academy Program
- May 2011 – Neighborhoods USA (NUSA) – Neighborhood of the Year/Social Revitalization – 3rd Place (National competition) – Sherman Avenue Neighborhood Partnership
- May 2011 – Neighborhoods USA (NUSA) – Who’s Who in America’s Neighborhoods (National competition) – Honoree MAP Neighborhood Leader – Larry Spicer
- June 2010 – Los Angeles Section American Planning Association (APA) Special Award of Merit for “Planning Excellence for Grassroots Initiative” – MAP Program
- December 2010 – One of the ten finalists for the University of Kansas Community Toolbox “Out of the Box Prize,” International competition – MAP Program
- January 2009 – Honorable mention for the National Community Development Association (NCDA) 2009 Audrey Nelson Community Development Achievement Award – MAP Program
- July 2009 – National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO) Award of Merit – Program Innovation in Community Revitalization – MAP Program
- May 2008 – Los Angeles County Federal Executive Board Award (1st Place Award) – MAP Program
- May 2008 – Neighborhoods USA (NUSA) – Best Neighborhood Program Award Finalist/Physical Revitalization (National competition) – MAP Program
- December 2008 – The City of Monrovia was named an American City & County Crown Community Award winner for 2008 for the MAP Program
- 2002 – California Association of Code Enforcement – Innovation Program Award – City of Monrovia’s Code Enforcement Neighborhood Pride Program
Community Development Block Grant
- 2017-18 – Community Development Commission/Housing Authority of the County of Los Angeles – Certification of Performance – City of Monrovia CDBG Program
- 2017 – 5th Annual Congressional Recognition of Excellence Program – Grace Napolitano, Member of Congress – Certificate of Congressional Recognition – City of Monrovia’s CDBG Residential Rehabilitation Grant Program
- 2018 California Preservation Award Winner -Monrovia Santa Fe Depot
- 2015 California Chapter of the American Planning Association - Old Town Monrovia Great Place in California
Monrovia Public Library
- LEED Silver Certification for Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design for the library building’s environmental-friendly design
- Certificate of Recognition for SciLab Youth Programming from California State Assemblymember Holden
- Certificate of Recognition for Veterans Services from California State Senator Portantino
- 2019 Monrovia Chamber of Commerce’s annual Military Service & Stewardship Award for our Veterans Resource Center
- 2019 California Parks and Recreation Society (CPRS) State Award in the Marketing and Communications Award of Excellence Category for the Monrovia Today Publication
- 2018 California Parks and Recreation Society (CPRS) District 13: Facility or Park Planning and Design Award for the Julian Fisher Park Design
- 2017 California Parks and Recreation Society (CPRS) District 13: Health, Wellness and Community Life Award for the Ban on Smoking and Tobacco Use in City Parks
- 2016 California Association of Park and Recreation Commissioners & Board Members (CAPRCBM) Special Project Award for Station Square Park
- 2015 California Parks and Recreation Society (CPRS) District 13: Community Services Award for Monrovia Canyon Park Volunteers
- 2018 Beacon Media Readers' Choice for Best Local Festival and Shopping District
- 2017 Beacon Media Readers' Choice for Best Shopping District, Local Festival, New Restaurants, Local Charity
- 2019 Chapter President’s Award, by the Southern California Chapter of the American Society for Public Administration (ASPA) - GoMonrovia