Program Rules Highlights
Registration is now closed.
For homeowners, the program rules and terms include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Homeowner must be the owner of record and live in the house that will be retrofitted.
- The house must be located within one of the ZIP Codes designated by EBB.
- Only one registration per house.
- The house must meet the structural requirements of a Chapter A3 (pages 125 - 142) retrofit which is done completely in the crawl space around the perimeter of the foundation.
- For houses with cripple walls 4-feet or less, a contractor or homeowner may complete the retrofit using an approved standard plan set.
- For houses with cripple walls taller than 4-feet an engineered solution is required.
- The house must not have a completed brace and bolt retrofit previous to being accepted into EBB.
- The building permit must be received and dated after acceptance into EBB.
- The building permit must state the retrofit is in accordance with Chapter A3 or an accepted Standard Plan Set (i.e. Standard Plan Set A or LA City Standard Plan Set #1). If the retrofit is an engineered solution then the signed and stamped letter from the engineer must state the retrofit is in accordance with Chapter A3.
- In addition to the brace and bolt retrofit the work must include strapping and bracing the water heater.
- The homeowner must meet all program deadlines and submit the required documentation.
- If a homeowner chooses to do the project as an owner/builder, labor will not be reimbursed.
- The house must successfully pass a final inspection by a local building inspector, confirming the retrofit was done in accordance with Chapter A3.
- The retrofit may not receive any other grant funding from any other program.
For contractors, the program rules and terms include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Contractors must perform all EBB retrofit work in accordance with Chapter A3 or an accepted Standard Plan Set (i.e. Standard Plan Set A or LA City Standard Plan Set #1).
- All retrofit work is done completely in the crawl space around the perimeter of the foundation.
- Contractors must ensure that each and every building permit for an EBB retrofit includes the required references to Chapter A3 or an accepted Standard Plan Set (i.e. Standard Plan Set A or LA City Standard Plan Set #1).. (for a Type 1 Qualifying House) or the required references to engineered plans (for a Type 2 Qualifying House).
- To be listed in the EBB Contractor Directory, contractors must be licensed by the State of California and successfully complete the FEMA training.
- Contractors may be removed from the Directory in the event EBB determines that the Participating Contractor has failed to meet the program requirements.
Questions & Complete List of Program Rules
For more information and the full list of Program Rules, please visit Earthquake Brace + Bolt or call Customer Service at (877) 232-4300.