The City of Monrovia Planning Division has adapted to the changing world with COVID-19. What has not changed is our commitment to serving you. This page provides up-to-date information on all the development proposals and land use applications that are proceeding through a public review process. Each of the noticed projects scheduled for a review with the Development Review Committee (DRC) or Planning Commission are listed below, with links to additional information.
Although Development Review Committee and Planning Commission project reviews are normally conducted during open public meetings, the meeting arrangement has been temporarily modified due to COVID-19. As a precaution, there will NOT be physical meetings and all public participation will be electronic. Public comments for these projects may be provided prior to meetings via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If comments are specifically in support of or with concerns with an item, please clearly state so in the introduction. Anyone who submits comments will also be notified of the decision and appeal process.
Community Development Director’s Determinations on behalf of the Development Review Committee
Pursuant to City Council Urgency Ordinance (Ordinance No. 2020-06U), the Monrovia Community Development Director has been authorized to conduct all project reviews and determinations on behalf of the DRC. While these reviews will not take place before the public, you can still participate in the decision making process. Public comments for DRC projects should be submitted by email before 3:00 p.m. on the DRC project review date. Comments provided via email will be posted on the City's website and distributed to the Director. Comments received after that time must be sent by email to email@example.com prior to the close of the public hearing. Comments will be read into the record and may be summarized in the interest of time. Please submit comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following schedule highlights each of the projects that will go before the Director’s review. Each project contains a link to additional information. Public comments on projects where the Director makes a final decision will be accepted via email at email@example.com up until 3:00 p.m. on day scheduled for a decision. Comments provided via email will be distributed to the Director. If comments are specifically in support of or opposition to an item, please clearly state so in the introduction. Comments on projects going through an Advisory Review for a recommendation of approval to the Planning Commission will be accepted up until 6:00 p.m. on the date of the final public hearing. Anyone who submits comments will also be notified of the decision and appeal process.
DRC Projects Scheduled for Review
May 20, 2020 – 4:00 PM
- Determination - Neighborhood Compatibility Design Review and Minor Exception - 159 East El Norte Street Request to construct a new two-story home with attached garage and a Minor Exception to allow a second story balcony to encroach into the required rear yard setback (24'-3" in lieu of the required 30'-0"). (Supporting Documents: Project Plans)
- Determination - Two Minor Exceptions and Minor Determination - 604 West Colorado Boulevard - Allow a reduced side yard setback in line with the existing structure for a single-story addition to the rear of the home. Allow a reduction in the required parking (3 open parking spaces in lieu of 4 garage spaces). Make a determination that would allow a one-time expansion of floor area for a legal, non-conforming property. (Supporting Documents: Project Plans)
- Determination - Minor Exception - 303 Highland Place - Allow a reduced side yard setback in line with the existing structure for a single-story addition to the rear of the home. (Supporting Documents: Project Plans)
- Determination - Minor Exception - 1305 South Mountain Avenue - Allow signage to exceed maximum allowable sign area at the former Sierra Dealership. (Supporting Documents: Project Plans)
Planning Commission Projects Scheduled for Review
The Monrovia Planning Commission will be conducting virtual meetings beginning on May 27, 2020 at 7:30 p.m. While these meetings will not take place in a physical location open to the public, remote public participation is allowed in the following ways:
- Cable T.V. Broadcast on KGEM (Spectrum Channel 99 or Giggle Fiber Channel 87-2)
- Livestream online at www.foothillsmedia.org/monrovia
Public comments for Planning Commission projects should be submitted by email until 6:00 p.m. on the meeting date. Comments provided via email will be posted on the City's website and distributed to the Commission. Comments received after that time must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the close of public hearing. Comments will be read into the record and may be summarized in the interest of time. Please submit comments to email@example.com.
May 27, 2020 – 7:30 PM - Agenda
- Conditional Use Permit for a New 2-story house behind an existing residence at 235 West Cherry Avenue (Supporting Documents: Architectural Plans, Materials Board)
- Conditional Use Permit for hotel business operation at 311 West Foothill Boulevard (the Aztec Hotel) with room service (food and alcohol) provided by the Mayan Bar and Grill Restaurant (Supporting Documents: Business Operation Statement)
- Conditional Use Permit for a New 6-unit condominium project at 910 South Ivy Avenue (Supporting Documents: Architectural Plans, Courtyard Rendering, Southwest View Rendering)
Are you looking for more information regarding these projects? Due to COVID 19, City Hall is currently closed to the public. However, the Planning Division is here to serve you and will get back to you as quickly as possible. Please feel free to contact us at 626-932-5565 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information. Check out the City's website to find out more about services that are available by phone, email or online at www.cityofmonrovia.org/cd.