Applications & Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Walk-in Office Hours for General Public Right-of-Way and Permitting Issues

In order to enhance our customer service efforts, the Public Works Department has been working to develop a new over-the-counter office hour program where we will have staff on-hand to review any permit applications, consider development plans, and answer general questions regarding working in the public right-of-way.

In addition, during Office Hours, the City’s Public Works Inspector, our Engineering Technician, and our Senior Administrative Assistant will be able to issue permits over the counter should the applicant provide a complete application!

These new Office Hours are as follows:

  • Mondays and Thursdays – 7:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
  • Tuesdays and Wednesdays – 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Prior to this change, the City’s Public Works Inspector was available by appointment only, and typically was in the field for inspections throughout the day. With the institution of office hours, we are trying to respond to our customer needs by providing set times when applicants can speak with City personnel without having to make an appointment.

Of course, even with the new office hour program, the Public Works Department will still remain open during regular business hours, which are Monday through Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Required Insurance Forms

 Transportation Permit

The City of Monrovia has discretionary authority to issue special permits for the movement of vehicles/loads exceeding statutory limitations on the size, weight, and loading of vehicles contained in Division 15 of the California Vehicle Code. Requests for such special permits requires the completion of and application for a Transportation Permit in PDF format.

Public Works is responsible for the administration of the Transportation Permit program through the uniform issuance of Transportation Permits

The City uses the State of California, Department of Transportation’s Transportation Permit TR-0015 Form. Forms may be faxed to (626) 932-5559 or delivered to City Hall at 415 S. Ivy Avenue.

The Transportation Permit must be accompanied with, or the Public Works Department must have on file, an Insurance Certificate for one million dollars ($1,000,000) liability and noting the City of Monrovia as the Additional Insured.

Pilot Car: MUST have Public Works Engineer review and approval. Truck Routes must be followed.

 Encroachment Permits

No person shall erect, construct, place or maintain any building, structure, fence, wall, porch, step, post, pole, pipe, conduit, sign, blockade, seat, bench, table, merchandise or other physical encroachment or obstruction in, over or upon any street, alley and public ways, which have been dedicated or are open to public use and the curbing, sidewalk and parkway, if any, adjacent thereto without first obtaining and maintaining a permit.