New Pricing to Take Effect on November 1: $3.00 / Shared Ride and $5.00 / Classic Lyft Ride
Shared Rides to Old Town and the Gold Line Station $1.00 / Shared Ride
Starting November 1, Shared rides on GoMonrovia will now cost $3.00 / ride, and Classic Lyft rides cost $5.00 / ride. Shared Ride trips that start or end in Old Town or the Monrovia Gold Line Station are just $1.00 / ride.
On September 18, Governor Gavin Newsom signed AB 5 into law. AB 5 will force companies, like Lyft and Uber, to transition from classifying drivers as independent contractors to employees. Experts have indicated that this transition could increase labor costs for both companies by $800 million annually. The increase in cost for these companies will almost undoubtedly be passed down as increased costs for passengers.
From a Monrovia-centric perspective, this new law will impact our GoMonrovia operation. Given that AB 5 introduces significant uncertainty for the gig economy, and by extension Lyft, the City believes the best way to address that uncertainty is to create a financial safety net for the GoMonrovia program by increasing prices. As Lyft plans for the impacts of AB 5, which is set to take effect on January 1, 2020, the financial breathing room created now will give the City more flexibility for assessing future cost challenges as they arise.
What is GoMonrovia?
In February 2018, the City Council approved a completely revamped Monrovia Transit model! The new transportation program, called GoMonrovia, leverages the strengths of the ride-share provider Lyft, in partnership with the City’s dial-a-ride operator, to provide fast and affordable transportation all throughout Monrovia.
If you need special accommodations, our dial-a-ride service is available to serve those riders with ADA-related needs who have registered for the program. Visit the Monrovia Transit page to learn more.
Registration Required for Lyft Concierge Dispatch Service
The City is requiring advanced registration for passengers who do not own smartphones, and would like to book a ride over the telephone using the Lyft Concierge dispatch service.
How to Register
- Download and complete the Lyft Concierge Application, including the credit card authorization form, and return to the Community Center.
- Once you have been notified that your application was approved, you may call (626) 358-3538 to book a ride with Lyft over the telephone.
- If you have a cell phone, you will be sent text messages with the driver and vehicle information, the estimated time of arrival, and when the driver has arrived.
- Charges for your rides will be charged at the end of each month, and a monthly receipt for the amount charged to your credit card will be emailed to you.
Please note that trips may only be booked that start and end in the GoMonrovia service area. For more information, please call (626) 256-8234.
GoMonrovia Powered by Lyft
Those who live, work, and are visiting Monrovia can take advantage of our enhanced public-private transit program through Lyft to take a ride anywhere in our service area at a reduced rate! Currently, you can take a Shared Lyft ride (1-2 passengers) for $2.50! If you need a regular Lyft ride (up to 4 passengers), it is only $5.00! Shared Rides to or from Old Town or the Monrovia Gold Line Station will remain $0.50 / ride. Starting November 1, a Shared ride will be $3.00 while a Shared ride to or from Old Town or the Monrovia Gold Line Station will be $1.00. A regular Lyft ride will remain the same.
How to Ride
- Download the app from your smart phone's app store.
- Sign up to create your account.
- Please note that you must be 18 years of age to have a Lyft account and to ride alone in a Lyft vehicle! Minors must be accompanied by someone 18 years or older.
- Open the app and click on your profile in the top right-hand corner of the homepage. Click on "Promos" and enter promo code GOMONROVIA.
- Now, you'll have the option of a $2.50 or $5.00 flat fare on rides within our service area, depending on the number of passengers! Shared rides to and from Old Town or the Monrovia Gold Line Station are $0.50. Please note that prices for shares rides will change November 1.
- Be sure to enter the promo code before requesting a ride! Once you've begun a ride, you won't be able to apply a new promo code.
- On the app's homepage, set your pickup location and add your destination address.
- For 1-2 passengers, select "Shared" to ride for $2.50.
- Shared Rides to / from Old Town or the Monrovia Gold Line Station are $0.50.
- Effective November 1, Shared rides will be $3.00 and Shared rides to / from Old Town or the Monrovia Gold Line Station will be $1.00.
- If there are more than 2 of you riding, select "Lyft" (up to 4 passengers) to ride for $5.00.
- Then click "Select Shared/Lyft" depending on the option you chose.
- For 1-2 passengers, select "Shared" to ride for $2.50.
- Lyft will match you with a driver in the area! On average, most passengers will have a wait time of 5 minutes or less. Once the ride is booked, the app will show you the driver's name, the car's make and model, the license plate number, and show you their expected time of arrival.
- If you've selected "Shared" ride, please note that the time to your destination may be a few minutes longer than expected. In a "Shared" Lyft ride, the driver may pick-up other passengers along your route, to take advantage of the empty seats, creating a truly unique form of public transit!
- Once the driver arrives, be sure to double-check that you're boarding the correct vehicle by verifying the vehicle's license plate number and asking the driver's name. Many cars can look similar, especially when an area is crowded with multiple Lyft pick-ups and drop-offs after an event or at a train station.
- Enjoy the ride! Each Lyft trip and driver will be different. Some drivers want to chat, some prefer to have a quiet ride.
- Once you've reached your destination, you'll check-out and have the opportunity to tip your driver and rate them on a scale from 1 to 5 stars. Note that the $0.50/$2.50/$5.00 fare plus any tip you provide will be charged to your personal account.
If you experience a problem with the GOMONROVIA promo code or run into other issues using the program, please contact Adriana Marin, Administrative Assistant in Public Services, at (626) 256-8234 or send her an email.
GoMonrovia Service Area
Our service area includes the City of Monrovia and Target in Duarte (a designated transfer point to Duarte Transit). We’ll also take passengers to medical appointments at physician’s offices within three miles of the City's limits, as well as the City of Hope.
Recently, LA County transportation officials notified the City that they will be opting out of the on-demand Lyft portion of our GoMonrovia transportation program. At their meeting on Tuesday, March 19, the City Council approved a revised service area to remove the unincorporated areas of LA County adjacent to Monrovia. As we have shared previously, to account for all of the rides being generated in the unincorporated portions of the GoMonrovia service area, LA County would need to provide an additional $750,000 - $1 million / year in new funding. Staff was informed by LA County that after consulting with Supervisor Barger, they have made the decision to only have the City provide ADA dial-a-ride services for the unincorporated areas surrounding Monrovia.
Additionally, the City of Bradbury will no longer be participating in GoMonrovia as of June 1.
Given that factor, we made service area changes to remove unincorporated LA County and Bradbury from the GoMonrovia service area. This means that any Lyft rides that originate or end in the unincorporated LA County area or Bradbury will no longer be eligible for the GoMonrovia subsidy pricing program.
For a map of the entire service area, click into the Promos section on the Lyft app, and click "View coverage area."
Lime Discontinuing Bikeshare Program in Monrovia and Elsewhere
Lime will no longer be operating their bikeshare program. As Lime is intending to focus solely on their scooter business, they will no longer be providing pedal-bike services.
In addition, anyone who has a remaining balance in their Lime account will be able to request a refund of their monies through Lime customer service.
Helpful Links & Safety Tips
- Lyft 101: How does Lyft work?
- Video: What safety precautions does Lyft take?
- When you request a Lyft, be ready to be outside and stand in a visible location at the curb.
- Remember: Double-check that the Lyft car's license plate number matches your driver's information shown on the app before entering the vehicle.